Fisher-Martin House dates back 300 years
The Fisher-Martin House on Kings Highway in Lewes is one of the oldest structures in the state, dating back to the 1730s. It was moved to its present location in Zwaanendael Park by restoration specialist Jack Vessels in the 1980s, when it became the home of the Lewes Chamber of Commerce.
Its original location was near the corner of Cool Spring Road and Fisher Road on what was a 1,000-acre patent made by William Penn in 1684 to Molestine and Kipstaven. Molestine sold his share to Thomas Fisher in 1685. Fisher’s son Joshua sold the property to the Rev. James Martin in 1736.
The original patent included what is now Lavender Fields at Warrington Farm. According to Lavender Fields’ history, the property has always been a producing farm, starting as a major fruit grower in the late 1850s with 3,400 peach trees as well as apples, pears and other small fruits. Grain and sugarcane were also grown, and sorghum was manufactured.
In 1958, W. Weldon and Elizabeth Brittingham, dairy farmers who owned Lewes Dairy, purchased the property and added the silos, corn crib and milking shed.
In 1994, owner Pauline Petitt followed in her father’s footsteps and planted lavender. Her father was a well-known lavender grower in England.
Marie Mayor and Sharon Harris purchased the farm in 2002, and later invited Mary Ann Etu to be a business partner. In November 2023, Cait Spieker-Gee and her family took over the farm.